Monday, February 4, 2013

Beautiful Creatures - Chapter 10



10.09
Gathering Days

After the Cineplex, it didn’t take long. Word got out that Old Man Ravenwood’s niece was hanging out with Ethan Wate. If I wasn’t Ethan Wate
Whose Mamma Died Just Last Year, the talk might have spread with more speed, or more cruelty. Even the guys on the team had something to
say. It just took them longer than usual to say it, because I hadn’t given them a chance.
For a guy who couldn’t survive without three lunches, I’d been skipping half of them since the Cineplex—at least, skipping them with the team.
But there were only so many days I could get by on half a sandwich on the bleachers, and there were only so many places to hide.
Because really, you couldn’t hide. Jackson High was just a smaller version of Gatlin; there was nowhere to go. My disappearing act hadn’t gone
unnoticed with the guys. Like I said, you had to show up for roll call, and if you let a girl get in the way of that, especially a girl who wasn’t on the
approved list—meaning, approved by Savannah and Emily—things got complicated.
When the girl was a Ravenwood, which is what Lena would always be to them, things were pretty much impossible.
I had to man up. It was time to take on the lunchroom. It didn’t matter that we weren’t even really a couple. At Jackson, you might as well have
parked behind the water tower if you were eating lunch together. Everyone always assumed the worst, more like, the most. The first time Lena and I
walked into the lunchroom together, she almost turned around and walked back out. I had to grab the strap on her bag.
Don’t be crazy. It’s just lunch.
“I think I forgot something in my locker.” She turned, but I kept holding on to the strap.
Friends eat lunch together.
They don’t. We don’t. I mean, not in here.
I picked up two orange plastic lunch trays. “Tray?” I pushed the tray in front of her and shoved a shiny triangle of pizza on it.
We do now. Chicken.
You don’t think I’ve tried this before?
You haven’t tried it with me. I thought you wanted things to be different than they were at your old school.
Lena looked around the room doubtfully. She took a deep breath and dropped a plate of carrots and celery onto my tray.
You eat those, and I’ll sit anywhere you want.
I looked at the carrots, then out at the lunchroom. The guys were already hanging out at our table.
Anywhere?
♦ ♦ ♦
If this was a movie, we would’ve sat down at the table with the guys, and they would’ve learned some kind of valuable lesson, like not to judge
people by the way they look, or that being different was okay. And Lena would’ve learned that all jocks weren’t stupid and shallow. It always seemed
to work in movies, but this wasn’t a movie. This was Gatlin, which severely limited what could happen. Link caught my eye as I turned toward the
table, and started shaking his head, as in, no way, man. Lena was a few steps behind me, ready to bolt. I was beginning to see how this was going
to play out, and let’s just say no one was going to be learning any valuable lessons. I almost turned around, when Earl looked at me.
That one look said it all. It said if you bring her over here, you’re done.
Lena must have seen it too, because when I turned back to her, she was gone.
That day after practice, Earl was nominated to have a talk with me, which was pretty funny, since talking had never really been his thing. He sat
down on the bench in front of my gym locker. I could tell it was a plan because he was alone, and Earl Petty was almost never alone. He didn’t
waste any time. “Don’t do it, Wate.”
“I’m not doing anything.” I didn’t look up from my locker.
“Be cool. This isn’t you.”
“Yeah? What if it is?” I pulled on my Transformers T-shirt.
“The guys don’t like it. Go down this road, no goin’ back.”
If Lena hadn’t disappeared in the cafeteria, Earl would’ve known I didn’t care what they thought. I hadn’t cared for a while now. I slammed my
locker door, and he left before I could tell him what I thought about him and his dead end of a road.
I had a feeling it was my last warning. I didn’t blame Earl. For once, I agreed with him. The guys were going down one road, and I was going
down another. Who could argue with that?
Still, Link refused to desert me. And I went to practice; people even passed me the ball. I was playing better than I ever had, no matter what they
said, or more often didn’t say, in the locker room. When I was around the guys, I tried not to let on that my universe had split in half, that even the sky
looked different to me now, that I didn’t care if we got to the state finals. Lena was in the back of my mind, no matter where I was or who I was with.
Not that I mentioned that at practice, or today, after practice, when Link and I hit the Stop & Steal to refuel on the way home. The rest of the guys
were there, too, and I was trying to act like part of the team, for Link’s sake. My mouth was full of powdered doughnuts, which I almost choked on
when I stepped through the sliding doors.
There she was. The second-prettiest girl I had ever seen.
She was probably a little older than I was because, though she looked vaguely familiar, she had never been at Jackson when I was there. I was
sure of that. She was the kind of girl a guy would remember. She was blasting some music I had never heard, and lounging at the wheel of her
convertible black-and-white Mini Cooper, which was parked haphazardly across two spaces in the parking lot. She didn’t seem to notice the lines,
or she didn’t care. She was sucking on a lollipop like a cigarette, her pouty red lips made even redder by the cherry-colored stain.
She looked us over, and turned up the music. In a split second, two legs came flying over the side of the door, and she was standing in front of
us, still sucking on the lollipop. “Frank Zappa. ‘Drowning Witch.’ A little before your time, boys.” She walked closer, slowly, as if she was giving us
time to check her out, which I admit, we were.
She had long blond hair, with a thick pink stripe sweeping down one side of her face, past her choppy bangs. She was wearing giant black
sunglasses and a short black pleated skirt, like some kind of Goth cheerleader. Her cut-off white tank was so thin, you could see half of some kind
of black bra, and most of everything else. And there was plenty to see. Black motorcycle boots, a belly ring, and a tattoo. It was black and tribal
looking and surrounded her belly button, but I couldn’t tell from here what it was, and I was trying not to stare.
“Ethan? Ethan Wate?”
I stopped in my tracks. Half the basketball team collided into me.
“No way.” Shawn was as surprised as I was when my name came out of her mouth. He was the kind of guy who had game.
“Hot.” Link just stared, with his mouth open. “TDB hot.” Third Degree Burns. The highest compliment Link could pay a girl, even higher than
Savannah Snow hot.
“Looks like trouble.”
“Hot girls are trouble. That’s the whole point.”
She walked right up to me, sucking on her lollipop. “Which one of you lucky boys is Ethan Wate?” Link shoved me forward.
“Ethan!” She flung her arms around my neck. Her hands felt surprisingly cold, like she’d been holding a bag of ice. I shivered and backed away.
“Do I know you?”
“Not a bit. I’m Ridley, Lena’s cousin. But don’t I wish you’d met me first—”
At the mention of Lena, the guys shot me some weird looks, and reluctantly drifted off toward their cars. In the wake of my talk with Earl, we had
come to a mutual understanding about Lena, the only kind guys ever come to. Meaning, I hadn’t brought it up, and they hadn’t brought it up, and
between us, we somehow all agreed to go on like this indefinitely. Don’t ask, don’t tell. Which wasn’t going to be much longer, especially if Lena’s
odd relatives started showing up in town.
“Cousin?”
Had Lena mentioned a Ridley?
“For the holidays? Aunt Del? Rhymes with hell? Ring a bell?” She was right; Macon had brought it up at dinner.
I grinned, relieved, except my stomach was still wrenched into a massive knot, so I must not have been that relieved. “Right. Sorry, I forgot. The
cousins.”
“Honey, you’re lookin’ at the Cousin. The rest are just children my mother happened to have after me.” Ridley hopped back in the Mini Cooper.
And when I say that, I mean, she literally hopped over the side of the car and landed in the driver seat of the Mini. I wasn’t joking about the
cheerleader thing. The girl had some powerful legs.
I could see Link still staring as he stood next to the Beater.
Ridley patted the seat next to her. “Hop in, Boyfriend, we’re gonna be late.”
“I’m not… I mean, we’re not—”
“You really are cute. Now get in. You don’t want us to be late, do you?”
“Late for what?”
“Family dinner. The High Holidays. The Gathering. Why do you think they sent me all the way out here into Gat-dung to find you?”
“I don’t know. Lena never invited me.”
“Well, let’s just say there’s no keeping Aunt Del from checking out the first guy Lena’s ever brought home. So you’ve been summoned, and since
Lena’s busy with dinner and Macon’s still, you know, ‘sleeping,’ I drew the short straw.”
“She didn’t bring me home. I just went by one night to drop off her homework.”
Ridley opened the car door from the inside. “Get in, Short Straw.”
“Lena would’ve called me if she wanted me to come.” Somehow I knew I was going to get in even as I was saying it. I hesitated.
“Are you always like this? Or are you flirting with me? Because if you’re playing hard to get, just tell me now and we’ll go park at the swamp and
get it on already.”
I got in the car. “Fine. Let’s go.”
She reached over and pushed the hair out of my eyes with her cold hand. “You’ve got nice eyes, Boyfriend. You shouldn’t keep them all covered
up.”
♦ ♦ ♦
By the time we got to Ravenwood, I didn’t know what had happened. She kept playing music I’d never heard, and I started to talk, and I just kept
talking, until I had told her things I had never told anyone, except Lena. I can’t really explain it. It was like I had lost control of my mouth.
I told her about my mom, about how she died, even though I almost never talked about it with anyone. I told her about Amma, about how she
read cards, and about how she was like my mom now that I didn’t have one, except for the charms and dolls and her generally disagreeable nature.
I told her about Link, and his mom, and how she had changed lately and spent all her time trying to convince everyone that Lena was just as crazy
as Macon Ravenwood, and a danger to every student at Jackson.
I told her about my dad, about how he was holed up in his study, with his books and some secret painting I was never allowed to see, and how I
felt like I needed to protect him, even though it was from something that had already happened.
I told her about Lena, about how we’d met in the rain, how we had seemed to know each other before we’d even met, and about the messed-up
scene with the window.
It almost felt like she was sucking it all out of me, like she sucked on that sticky red lollipop, the one she kept licking as she drove. It took all the
strength I had to not tell her about the locket, and the dreams. Maybe the fact that she was Lena’s cousin just made everything a little easier
between us. Maybe it was something else.
Just as I was starting to wonder, we pulled up at Raven-wood Manor, and she flipped off the radio. The sun had set, the lollipop was gone, and I
had finally shut up. When had that happened?
Ridley leaned in toward me, close. I could see my face reflected in her sunglasses. I breathed her in. She smelled sweet and sort of damp,
nothing like Lena, but still familiar somehow. “You don’t need to be worried, Short Straw.”
“Yeah, why not?”
“You’re the real deal.” She smiled at me, and her eyes flashed. Behind the glasses, I could see a gold glint, like gold-fish swimming in a dark
pond. They were hypnotic, even through her shades. Maybe that’s why she wore them. Then the glasses went dark, and she messed up my hair.
“Too bad she’ll probably never see you again once you meet the rest of us. Our family is just a little wack.” She got out of the car, and I followed her.
“More wack than you?”
“Infinitely.”
Great.
She put her cold hand on my arm, once again, when we got to the bottom step of the house. “And, Boyfriend. When Lena blows you off, which
she will in about five months, give me a call. You’ll know how to find me.” She looped her arm through mine, suddenly strangely formal. “May I?”
I gestured with my free hand. “Sure. After you.” As we walked up the stairs, they groaned under our combined weight. I pulled Ridley up to the
front door, still not quite sure if the stairs were going to support us or not.
I knocked, but there was no response. I reached up and felt for the moon. The door swung open, slowly—
Ridley seemed tentative. And as we crossed the threshold, I could almost feel the house settle, as if the climate inside had changed, almost
imperceptibly.
“Hello, Mother.”
A round woman, bustling to lay gourds and golden leaves along the mantel, startled and dropped a small white pumpkin. It exploded onto the
ground. She grabbed onto the mantel to steady herself. She looked odd, like she was wearing a dress from a hundred years ago. “Julia! I mean
Ridley. What are you doing here? I must be confused. I thought, I thought…”
I knew something was wrong. This didn’t seem like your average mother-daughter hello.
“Jules? Is that you?” A younger version of Ridley, maybe ten, came walking into the front hall with Boo Radley, who was now wearing a sparkly
blue cape over his back. Dressing up the family wolf, as if nothing unusual was going on. Everything about the girl was like light; she had blond hair
and radiant blue eyes, as if they had little flecks of the sky on a sunny afternoon in them. The girl smiled, and then frowned. “They said you’d gone
away.”
Boo started to growl.
Ridley opened her arms, waiting for the little girl to rush into them, but the girl didn’t move. So Ridley held her hands out and uncurled each one.
A red lollipop appeared in the first and, not to be outdone, a little gray mouse wearing a sparkly blue cape that matched Boo’s sniffed the air in her
other hand—like a cheap carnival trick.
The little girl stepped forward, tentatively, as if her sister had the power to pull her across the room, without so much as a touch, like the moon
and the tides. I had felt it myself.
When Ridley spoke, her voice was thick and husky like honey. “Come now, Ryan. Mamma was just pulling your tail to see if it squeaked. I
haven’t gone anywhere. Not really. Would your favorite big sister ever leave you?”
Ryan grinned and ran toward Ridley, jumping up, as if she was about to leap into her open arms. Boo barked. For a moment, Ryan hung
suspended in mid-air, like one of those cartoon characters that accidentally jumps of a cliff and just hangs there for a few seconds, before they fall.
Then, she fell, hitting the floor abruptly, as if she had smacked into an invisible wall. The lights inside the house grew brighter, all at once, as if the
house was a stage, and the lighting was changing to signal the end of an act. In the light, Ridley’s features cast harsh shadows.
The light changed things. Ridley held a hand up to her eyes, calling out to the house. “Oh please, Uncle Macon. Is that really necessary?”
Boo leaped forward, positioning himself between Ryan and Ridley. Growling, the dog pressed closer and closer, the hair on his back standing
on end, making him look even more like a wolf. Apparently Ridley’s charms were lost on Boo.
Ridley looped her arm back through mine tightly, and laugh-growled, or something like that. It wasn’t a friendly sound. I tried to keep it together,
but my throat felt like it was stuffed with wet socks.
Keeping one hand on my arm, she raised her other hand over her head and threw it up toward the ceiling. “Well, if you’re going to be rude.”
Every light in the house went dark. The whole house seemed to short out.
Macon’s voice calmly floated down from the top of the dim shadows. “Ridley, my dear, what a surprise. We weren’t expecting you.”
Not expecting her? What was he talking about?
“I wouldn’t miss the Gathering for anything in the world, and look, I brought a guest. Or, I guess you could say, I’m his guest.”
Macon walked down the staircase, without taking his eyes off Ridley. I was watching two lions circle each other, and I was standing in the
middle. Ridley had played me, and I had gone along with it, like a sucker, like the red sucker she was sucking on right now.
“I don’t think that’s the best idea. I’m sure you’re expected elsewhere.”
She pulled the lollipop out of her mouth with a pop. “Like I said, I wouldn’t miss this for the world. Besides, you wouldn’t want me to drive Ethan
all the way home. What ever would we talk about?”
I wanted to suggest we leave, but I couldn’t get the words out. Everyone just stood there in the main hall, staring at each other. Ridley leaned
against one of the pillars.
Macon broke the silence. “Why don’t you show Ethan to the dining room? I’m sure you remember where it is.”
“But Macon—” The woman I guessed was Aunt Del looked panicked, and again, confused, like she didn’t quite know what was going on.
“It’s all right, Delphine.” I could see in Macon’s face he was working things out, jumping from step to step, ahead of the step we were all on.
Without knowing what I had stumbled into, it was actually comforting to know he was there.
The last place I wanted to go was the dining room. I wanted to bolt out of there, but I couldn’t make it happen. Ridley wouldn’t let go of my arm,
and as long as she was touching me, I felt like I was on autopilot. She led me into the formal dining room where I had offended Macon the first time. I
looked at Ridley, clinging to my arm. This offense was far worse.
The room was lit by hundreds of tiny black votive candles, and strands of black glass beads hung from the chandelier. There was an enormous
wreath, made entirely of black feathers, on the door leading into the kitchen. The table was set with silver and pearl-white plates, which were
actually made of pearl, for all I knew.
The kitchen door swung open. Lena backed through the door, carrying a huge silver tray, piled high with exotic-looking fruits that definitely were
not from South Carolina. She wore a fitted black floor-length jacket, cinched at her waist. It looked strangely timeless, like nothing I had ever seen in
this county, or even this century, but when I looked down, I noticed she was wearing her Converse. She looked even more beautiful than when I had
come over for dinner… when? A few weeks ago?
My mind felt cloudy, like I was half asleep. I took a deep breath, but all I could smell was Ridley, a musky smell mixed with something way too
sweet, like syrup bubbling on the stove. It was strong and suffocating.
“We’re almost ready. Just a few more—” Lena froze, the door still in mid-swing. She looked like she had seen a ghost, or something much
worse. I wasn’t sure if it was just the sight of Ridley, or the two of us standing there arm and arm.
“Well, hello, Cuz. Long time no see.” Ridley advanced a few steps, dragging me along next to her. “Aren’t you going to give me a kiss?”
The tray Lena was carrying crashed to the floor. “What are you doing here?” Lena’s voice was barely a whisper.
“Why, I came to see my favorite cousin of course, and I brought a date.”
“I’m not your date,” I said lamely, barely choking the words out, still glued to her arm. She pulled a cigarette from the pack tucked in her boot and
lit it, all with her free hand.
“Ridley, please do not smoke in the house,” Macon said, and the cigarette instantly went out. Ridley laughed and flicked it into a bowl of
something that looked like mashed potatoes, but probably wasn’t.
“Uncle Macon. You always were such a stickler for the house rules.”
“The rules were set long ago, Ridley. There’s nothing you or I can do to change them now.”
They stared at each other. Macon gestured, and a chair pulled itself away from the table. “Why don’t we all have a seat? Lena, can you let
Kitchen know we will be two more for dinner?”
Lena just stood there, seething. “She can’t stay.”
“It’s all right. Nothing can harm you here,” Macon assured her. But Lena didn’t look scared. She looked furious.
Ridley smiled. “You sure about that?”
“Dinner is ready, and you know how Kitchen feels about serving cold food.” Macon walked into the dining room. Everyone filed in after him, even
though he had barely spoken loud enough for the four of us in the room to hear him.
Boo led the way, lumbering in with Ryan. Aunt Del followed, on the arm of a gray-haired man about my dad’s age. He was dressed like he was
right out of one of the books in my mom’s study, with knee-high boots, a frilly shirt, and a weird opera cape. The two of them looked like an exhibit
from a Smithsonian museum.
An older girl entered the room. She looked a lot like Ridley, except she had on more clothing and she didn’t look so dangerous. She had long,
straight blond hair with a neater version of Ridley’s choppy bangs. She looked like the kind of girl you’d see carrying a stack of books on a fancy old
college campus up North like Yale or Harvard. The girl locked eyes with Ridley, like she could see Ridley’s eyes through the dark shades she was
still wearing.
“Ethan, I’d like to introduce you to my older sister, Annabel. Oh, I’m sorry, I mean Reece.” Who doesn’t know their own sister’s name?
Reece smiled and spoke slowly as if she was choosing her words carefully. “What are you doin’ here, Ridley? I thought you had another
engagement tonight.”
“Plans change.”
“So do families.” Reece reached out her hand and waved it in front of Ridley’s face, just a simple flourish, like a magician waving his hand over
a top hat. I flinched; I don’t know what I was thinking, but for a second I thought Ridley might disappear. Or more preferably, I might.
But she didn’t disappear, and this time, it was Ridley who flinched and looked away, like it was physically painful to look Reece in the eye.
Reece peered into Ridley’s face, as if it were a mirror. “Interestin’. Why is it, Rid, when I look in your eyes all I can see are hers? You two are as
thick as thieves, aren’t you?”
“You’re babbling again, Sis.”
Reece closed her eyes, concentrating. Ridley squirmed like a pinned butterfly. Reece fluttered her hand again, and for a moment, Ridley’s face
dissolved into the murky image of another woman. The woman’s face was somehow familiar, only I couldn’t remember why.
Macon clapped his hand down heavily on Ridley’s shoulder. It was the only time I’d seen anyone touch her, except me. Ridley winced, and I
could feel a twinge of pain shooting from her hand, down my arm. Macon Ravenwood was clearly not a man to be taken lightly. “Now. Like it or not,
the Gathering has commenced. I won’t have anyone ruining the High Holidays, not under my roof. Ridley has been, as she so helpfully clarified,
invited to join us. Nothing more needs to be said. Please, everyone have a seat.”
Lena sat down, her eyes locked on the two of us.
Aunt Del looked even more worried than when we had first arrived. The man in the opera cape patted her hand reassuringly. A tall guy about my
age in black jeans, a faded black T-shirt, and scuffed motorcycle boots wandered in looking bored.
Ridley handled the introductions. “You’ve already met my mother. And this is my father, Barclay Kent, and my brother, Larkin.”
“It’s nice to meet you, Ethan.” Barclay stepped forward as if to shake my hand, but when he noticed Ridley’s hand on my arm, he stepped back.
Larkin drew his arm around my shoulder, only when I looked over his arm had become a snake, flickering its tongue in and out of its mouth.
“Larkin!” Barclay hissed. The snake became Larkin’s arm again in an instant.
“Jeez. Just tryin’ to lift the mood around here. You’re all such a bunch a whiners.” Larkin’s eyes flickered yellow, slitted. Snake eyes.
“Larkin, I said that was enough.” His father gave him the kind of look only a father can give a son who’s always disappointing him. Larkin’s eyes
changed back to green.
Macon took a seat at the head of the table. “Why don’t we all sit down? Kitchen has prepared one of her finest holiday meals. Lena and I have
been subjected to the clatter for days.” Everyone took their seats at the enormous rectangular claw-foot table. It was dark wood, almost black, and
there were intricate designs, like vines, carved into the legs. Huge black candles flickered in the center of the table.
“Sit over here by me, Short Straw.” Ridley led me to an empty chair, across from the silver bird holding Lena’s place card, as if I had a choice.
I tried to make eye contact with Lena, but her eyes were fixed on Ridley. And they were fierce. I just hoped Ridley was the only one her anger
was directed at.
The table was overflowing with food, even more than the last time I was here; every time I looked at the table there was more. A crown roast, filet
tied with rosemary, and more exotic dishes I’d never seen before. A large bird stuffed with dressing and pears, resting on peacock feathers
arranged to resemble a live bird’s open tail. I was hoping it wasn’t an actual peacock, but considering the tail feathers, I was pretty sure it was. And
sparkling candies, I think, shaped exactly like real seahorses.
But no one was eating, no one except Ridley. She seemed to be enjoying herself. “I just love sugar horses.” She popped two of the tiny golden
seahorses into her mouth.
Aunt Del coughed a few times, pouring a glass of black liquid, the consistency of wine, into her glass from the decanter on the table.
Ridley looked at Lena across the table. “So, Cuz, any big plans for your birthday?” Ridley dipped her fingers into a dark brown sauce in the
gravy boat next to the bird I hoped wasn’t a peacock, and licked it off her fingers suggestively.
“We’re not discussing Lena’s birthday tonight,” Macon warned.
Ridley was enjoying the tension. She popped another seahorse into her mouth. “Why not?”
Lena’s eyes were wild. “You don’t need to worry about my birthday. You won’t be invited.”
“You certainly should. Worry, I mean. It’s such an important birthday, after all.” Ridley laughed. Lena’s hair started to curl and uncurl itself as if
there was a wind in the room. There wasn’t.
“Ridley, I said that’s enough.” Macon was losing his patience. I recognized his tone as the same one he’d had after I took the locket out of my
pocket, during my first visit.
“Why are you taking her side, Uncle M? I spent just as much time with you as Lena did, growing up. How did she suddenly become your
favorite?” For a moment, she almost sounded hurt.
“You know it has nothing to do with favorites. You have been Claimed. It’s out of my hands.”
Claimed? By what? What was he talking about? The suffocating haze around me was getting thicker. I couldn’t be sure I was hearing everything
correctly.
“But you and I are the same.” She was pleading with Macon, like a spoiled child.
The table began to shake almost imperceptibly, the black liquid in the wine glasses gently sloshing from side to side. Then I heard a rhythmic
tapping on the roof. Rain.
Lena was gripping the edge of the table, her knuckles white. “You are NOT the same,” she hissed.
I felt Ridley’s body stiffen against my arm, which she was still wrapped around like a snake. “You think you are so much better than me, Lena…
is it? You don’t even know your real name. You don’t even realize this relationship of yours is doomed. Just wait until you’re Claimed and you find
out how things really work.” She laughed, a sinister, painful sort of sound. “You have no idea if we are the same or not. In a few months, you could
end up exactly like me.”
Lena looked at me, panicked. The table began to shake harder, the plates rattling against the wood. There was a crackle of lightning outside,
and rain began pouring down the windows like tears. “Shut up!”
“Tell him, Lena. Don’t you think Short Straw here deserves to know everything? That you have no idea if you’re Light or Dark? That you have no
choice?”
Lena leapt to her feet, knocking her chair over behind her. “I said, shut up!”
Ridley was relaxed again, enjoying herself. “Tell him how we lived together, in the same room, like sisters, that I was exactly like you a year ago
and now…”
Macon stood at the head of the table, gripping it with both hands. His pale face seemed even whiter than usual. “Ridley, that’s enough! I will Cast
you out of this house if you say another word.”
“You can’t Cast me out, Uncle. You aren’t strong enough for that.”
“Don’t overestimate your skills. No Dark Caster on Earth is powerful enough to enter Ravenwood on their own. I Bound the place myself. We all
did.”Dark Caster? That didn’t sound good.
“Ah, Uncle Macon. You’re forgetting that famous Southern hospitality. I didn’t break in. I was invited in, on the arm of the handsomest gent in Gatdung.”
Ridley turned to me and smiled, pulling her shades from her eyes. They were just wrong, glowing gold, as if they were on fire. They were
shaped like a cat’s, with black slits in the middle. Light shone from her eyes, and in that light, everything changed.
She looked over at me, with that sinister smile, and her face was twisted into darkness and shadows. The features that had been so feminine
and enticing were now sharp and hard, morphing before my eyes. Her skin seemed to be tightening around her bones, accentuating every vein until
you could almost see the blood pumping through them. She looked like a monster.
I had brought a monster into the house, into Lena’s house.
Almost immediately, the house began to shake violently. The crystal chandeliers were swinging, the lights flickering. The plantation shutters
banged open and shut again and again as the rain battered the roof. The sound was so loud, it was almost impossible to hear anything else, like
the night I almost hit Lena when she was standing in the road.
Ridley tightened her ice-cold grip on my arm. I tried to shake her loose, but I could barely move. The coldness was spreading; my whole arm
was starting to feel numb.
Lena looked up from the table, in horror. “Ethan!”
Aunt Del stamped her foot across the room. The floorboards seemed to roll beneath her feet.
The coldness had spread throughout my body. My throat was frozen. My legs were paralyzed; I couldn’t move. I couldn’t pull away from Ridley’s
arm, and I couldn’t tell anyone what was happening. In another few minutes, I wouldn’t be able to breathe.
A woman’s voice floated across the table. Aunt Del. “Ridley. I told you to stay away, child. There’s nothing we can do for you now. I’m so sorry.”
Macon’s voice was harsh. “Ridley, a year can make all the difference in the world. You’re Claimed now. You’ve found your place in the Order of
Things. You don’t belong here anymore. You have to go.”
A second later, he was standing right in front of her. Either that, or I was losing track of what was happening. The voices and faces were starting
to spin around me. I could barely catch my breath. I was so cold, my frozen jaw wouldn’t even move enough to chatter. “Go!” he shouted.
“No!”
“Ridley! Behave! You must leave this place. Ravenwood is not a place of Dark magic. This is a Bound place, a place of Light. You can’t survive
here, not for long.” Aunt Del’s voice was firm.
Ridley answered with a snarl. “I’m not leaving, Mother, and you can’t make me.”
Macon’s voice interrupted her tantrum. “You know that’s not true.”
“I’m stronger now, Uncle Macon. You can’t control me.”
“True, your strength is growing, but you are not ready to take me on, and I will do whatever is necessary to protect Lena. Even if that means
hurting you, or worse.”
The weight of his threat was too much for Ridley. “You would do that to me? Ravenwood’s a Dark place of power. It always has been, since
Abraham. He was one of us. Ravenwood should be ours. Why are you Binding it to the Light?”
“Ravenwood is Lena’s home now.”
“You belong with me, Uncle M. With Her.”
Ridley stood up, dragging me to my feet. The three of them were standing now—Lena, Macon, and Ridley, the three points of a really frightening
triangle. “I’m not scared of your kind.”
“That may be, but you have no power here. Not against all of us, and a Natural.”
Ridley cackled. “Lena, a Natural? That’s the funniest thing you’ve said all night. I’ve seen what a Natural can do. Lena could never be one.”
“A Cataclyst and a Natural aren’t the same.”
“Aren’t they, though? A Cataclyst is a Natural gone Dark, two sides of the same coin.”
What was she talking about? I was in over my head.
And then I felt my body seize up, and I knew I was blacking out—that I was probably going to die. It was like all the life had been sucked out of
me, with the warmth of my blood. I could hear the sound of thunder. One—then lightning and the crash of a tree branch just outside the window. The
storm was here. It was right on us.
“You’re wrong, Uncle M. Lena isn’t worth protecting, and she’s certainly not a Natural. You won’t know her fate until her birthday. You think that
just because she’s sweet and innocent now, she’ll be Claimed by the Light? That means nothing. Wasn’t I the same a year ago? And from what
Short Straw here has been telling me, she’s closer to going Dark than Light. Lightning storms? Terrorizing the high school?”
The wind grew stronger, and Lena was getting angrier. I could see the rage in her eyes. A window shattered, just like in English class. I knew
where this was going.
“Shut up! You don’t know what you’re talking about!” Rain came pouring into the dining room. Wind followed, sending glasses and plates
crashing to the floor, black liquid staining the floor in long streaks. No one moved.
Ridley turned back to Macon. “You’ve always given her too much credit. She’s nothing.”
I wanted to break free from Ridley’s hold, to grab her and drag her out of the house myself, but I couldn’t move.
A second window shattered, then another, and another. Glass was breaking everywhere. China, wineglasses, the glass on every picture frame.
Furniture was banging against the walls. And the wind, it was like a tornado had been sucked into the room with us. The sound was so loud, I
couldn’t hear anything else. The tablecloth blew right off the table, with every candle, platter, and plate still on it, throwing everything against the wall.
The room was spinning, I think. Everything was being sucked out into the foyer, toward the front door. Boo Radley screamed, that horrible human
scream. Ridley’s grip seemed to loosen around my arm. I blinked hard, trying not to pass out.
And there, standing in the middle of it all, was Lena. She was perfectly still, her hair whipping in the wind around her. What was happening?
I felt my legs buckle. Just as I lost consciousness, I felt the wind, a surge of power that literally ripped my arm out of Ridley’s hand, as she was
sucked out of the room, toward the front door. I collapsed to the floor, as I heard Lena’s voice, or thought I did.
“Get the hell away from my boyfriend, witch.”
Boyfriend.
Was that what I was?
I tried to smile. Instead, I blacked out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment