Thursday, April 4, 2013

Beautiful Chaos - Chapter 27



The One Who Is Two
After that, Macon and Liv spent most of their time grilling John about Abraham and Silas, and who knows what else, while Lena and I pored over
every book in Macon’s study. There were also old letters from Silas, encouraging Macon to join his father and brother in the battle against the
Casters. But aside from that there were no clues to John’s past, no mentions of any Caster or Incubus capable of anything close to John’s abilities.
The few times we were allowed to join the inquisition, Macon watched Lena and John’s interactions carefully. I think he was worried that the
strange pull John had wielded over Lena in the past might return. But Lena was stronger now, and John annoyed her as much as the rest of us. I
was more worried about Liv. I had witnessed the reaction of the Mortal girls in Gatlin the first time John walked into the Dar-ee Keen. But Liv
seemed immune.
I was used to the ups and downs of living in the place between the Caster and Mortal worlds, but these days were all downs. The same week
John Breed turned up at Ravenwood, Ridley’s clothes disappeared out of her room, like she was gone for good. And a few days later, Aunt Prue
took a turn for the worse.
I didn’t ask Lena to come with me the next time I went to County Care. I felt like being alone with Aunt Prue. I don’t know why, just like I didn’t know
much about anything that was going on with me these days. Maybe I was going crazy. Maybe I’d been crazy all along, and I didn’t even know it.
The air was freezing cold, as if they found a way to suck the Freon and the power from all the air conditioners in Gatlin County and pipe it into
County Care. I wished it was this cold anywhere but here, where the cold wrapped itself around the patients like corpses in a refrigerator.
This kind of cold never felt good, and it definitely never smelled good. At least sweating made you feel kind of alive, and that smell was about as
human as you could get. Maybe I’d spent too much time considering the metaphysical implications of heat.
Like I said, crazy.
Bobby Murphy didn’t say a word when I walked up to the front desk, didn’t even look me in the eye. Just handed me the clipboard and a pass. I
wasn’t sure if Lena’s Shut-the-Hell-Up Cast still affected him all the time, or only when I was around. Either way was fine with me. I didn’t feel like
talking.
I didn’t look in the other John’s room or the Unseen Needlepoint Room, and I walked right past the Sad Birthday Party Room. I held my breath as I
passed the Food That Wasn’t Food Room, before the smell of Ensure hit.
Then I smelled the lavender, and I knew my Aunt Prue was there.
Leah sat in a chair by her bed, reading a book in some kind of Caster or Demon language. She wasn’t in the standard County Care peach
uniform. Her boots were propped up on a hazardous waste disposal container in front of her. She’d obviously given up trying to pass for a nurse.
“Hey there.”
She looked up, surprised to see me. “Hey, yourself. It’s about time. I’ve been wondering where you’ve been.”
“I don’t know. Busy. Stupid stuff.”
Freaking out and chasing down hybrid Incubuses and Ridley, my mother and Mrs. English, and some crazy thing about some crazy Wheel…
She smiled. “Well, I’m glad to see you.”
“Me, too.” That was all I could manage. I gestured at her boots. “They don’t give you a hard time for all that?”
“Nah. I’m not really the kind of girl people give a hard time.”
I couldn’t make any more small talk. Talking was getting harder and harder every day, even with people I cared about. “Do you mind if I spend
some time with Aunt Prue? You know, alone?”
“Of course not. I’m going to run out and check on Bade. If I don’t get her house-trained soon, she’ll have to sleep outside, and she’s really an
indoor cat.” She tossed her book onto the chair and ripped out of the room.
I was alone with Aunt Prue.
She had gotten even smaller since the last time I was here. Now there were tubes where there hadn’t been, as if she was turning into a piece of
machinery an inch at a time. She looked like an apple baking in the sun, wrinkling in ways that seemed impossible. For a while, I listened to the
rhythmic pulsing of the plastic ankle cuffs on her legs, expanding and contracting, expanding and contracting.
As if they could make up for not walking, not being, not watching Jeopardy! with her sisters, not complaining about everything while loving it all.
I took her hand. The tube that ran into her mouth bubbled with her every breath. It sounded wet and croupy, like a humidifier with water inside it.
Like she was choking on her own air.
Pneumonia. I overheard Amma talking to the doctor in the kitchen. Statistically speaking, when coma patients died, pneumonia was the Grim
Reaper. I wondered if the sound of the tube in her throat meant Aunt Prue was getting closer to a statistically predictable end.
The thought of my aunt as another statistic made me want to throw the hazardous waste bin through the window. Instead, I grabbed Aunt Prue’s
tiny hand, her fingers as small as bare twigs in winter. I closed my eyes and took her other hand, twisting my strong fingers together with her frail
ones.
I rested my forehead against our hands and closed my eyes. I imagined lifting my head up and seeing her smiling, the tape and tubes gone. I
wondered if wishing was the same thing as praying. If hoping for something badly enough could make it happen.
I was still thinking about it when I opened my eyes, expecting to see Aunt Prue’s room, her sad hospital bed and her depressing peach walls. But
I found myself standing in the sunshine, in front of a house I’d been to a hundred times before….
The Sisters’ house looked exactly the way I remembered it, before the Vexes tore it apart. The walls, the roof, the section where Aunt Prue’s
bedroom had been—they were all there, not a white pine board or a roof shingle out of place.
The walk leading up to the wraparound porch was lined with hydrangea, the way Aunt Prue liked. Lucille’s clothesline was still stretched
across the lawn. There was a dog sitting on the porch—a Yorkshire terrier that looked suspiciously like Harlon James, except it wasn’t. This
dog had more gold in his coat, but I recognized him and bent down to pet him. His tag read HA RLON J A M E S III.
“Aunt Prue?”
The three white rocking chairs were sitting on the porch, with little wicker tables between them. There was a tray on one of them, with two
glasses of lemonade. I sat in the second rocking chair, leaving the first one empty. Aunt Prue liked to sit in the one closest to the walk, and I
figured she would want that chair if she was coming.
It felt like she was coming.
She’d brought me here, hadn’t she?
I gave Harlon James III a scratch, which was strange, since he was sitting in our living room, stuffed. I looked at the table again.
“Aunt Prue!” She startled me, even though I was expecting her. She didn’t look any better than she had lying in her hospital bed, in real
life. She coughed, and I heard the familiar noise of the rhythmic compressions. She was still wearing the plastic cuffs around her ankles,
expanding and contracting, as if she was still in her bed at County Care.
She smiled. Her face looked transparent, her skin so pale and thin that you could see the bluish purple of the veins beneath it.
“I’ve missed you. And Aunt Grace, Aunt Mercy, and Thelma are going out of their minds without you. Amma, too.”
“I see Amma most days and your daddy on the weekends. They come by ta talk a lot more regular than some people.” She sniffed.
“I’m sorry. Things have been all wrong.”
She waved her hand at me. “I’m not goin’ anywhere. Not just yet. They got me on house arrest, like one a them criminals from the TV.”
She coughed and shook her head.
“Where are we, Aunt Prue?”
“Don’t reckon I know. But I don’t have much time. They keep you pretty busy ’round here.” She unhooked her necklace and took
something off it. I hadn’t seen her wearing the necklace in the hospital, but I recognized it. “From my daddy, from his daddy’s daddy, from
way before you were even a thought in the mind a the Good Lord.”
It was a rose, hammered out of gold.
“This is for your girl. Ta help me keep an eye on her for ya. Tell her ta keep it with her.”
“Why are you worrying about Lena?”
“Now, don’t you go worryin’ ’bout that. You just do as I tell you.” She sniffed again.
“But Lena’s fine. I’ll always take care of her. You know that.” The thought that Aunt Prue was worried about Lena scared me more than
anything that had happened in the last few months.
“All the same, you give it ta her.”
“I will.”
But Aunt Prue was gone, leaving only half a glass of lemonade and an empty rocking chair, still rocking.
I opened my eyes, squinting into the brightness of my aunt’s room, and I realized the sun was coming in sideways, much lower than when I’d arrived.
I checked my cell. Three hours had passed.
What was happening to me? Why was it easier to slip into Aunt Prue’s world than to have a simple conversation in my own? The first time I spoke
to her, it didn’t seem like any time had passed at all, and I couldn’t have done it without a powerful Natural at my side.
I heard the door open behind me.
“You all right, kid?” Leah was standing in the doorway.
I looked down at my hand, uncurling my fingers around a tiny gold rose. This is for your girl. I wasn’t all right. I was pretty sure nothing was.
I nodded. “Fine. Just tired. I’ll see you around, Leah.” She waved me off, and I left the room with the weight of a backpack full of rocks on my
shoulders.
When I got into the car and the radio started playing, I wasn’t surprised to hear the familiar melody. After seeing Aunt Prue, I was relieved. Because
there it was, as right as the rain that hadn’t fallen in months. My Shadowing Song.
Eighteen Moons, eighteen nears,
The Wheel of Fate herself appears,
Then the One Who Is Two
Will bring the Order back anew….
The One Who Is Two, whatever that meant, was tied to fixing the Order.
And what did it have to do with the Wheel of Fate—the Wheel that was a she? Who could be powerful enough to control the Order of Things and
take human form?
There were Light and Dark Casters, Succubuses and Sirens, Sybils and Diviners. I remembered the previous verse of the song—the one about
the Demon Queen. Possibly one who could take human form, like stepping into a Mortal’s body. There was only one Demon Queen I knew who
could do that. Sarafine.
Finally, a piece of information I could wrap my mind around. Even though Liv and Macon had spent every day of the last week with John—treating
him like Frankenstein, visiting royalty, or a prisoner of war, depending on the day—he hadn’t told them anything that explained his role in all this.
I still hadn’t told anyone except Lena about my visits with Aunt Prue. But I was beginning to feel like it all fit together, the same way everything in
the bowl ends up in the biscuits, as Amma would say.
The Wheel of Fate. The One Who Is Two. Amma and the bokor. John Breed. The Eighteenth Moon. Aunt Prue. The Shadowing Song.
If only I could figure out how, before it was too late.
By the time I got to Ravenwood, Lena was sitting on the front porch. I could see her watching me as I drove through the crooked iron gate.
I remembered what Aunt Prue had said when she gave me the gold rose. This is for your girl. Ta help me keep an eye on her.
I didn’t want to think about it.
I sat down next to Lena on the top step. She held out her hand and took the charm from me, slipping it onto her necklace without a word.
It’s for you. From Aunt Prue.
I know. She told me.
“I fell asleep on the couch, and suddenly she was there,” Lena said. “It was exactly the way you described it—a dream, but it didn’t feel like a
dream.” I nodded, and she leaned her head against my shoulder. “I’m sorry, Ethan.”
I looked out at the gardens, still green in spite of the heat and the lubbers and everything we had been through. “Did she tell you anything else?”
Lena nodded and reached up to touch my cheek with her hand. When she turned toward me, I could tell she had been crying.
I don’t think she has much time.
Why?
She said she came to say good-bye.
I never made it home that night. Instead, I found myself sitting alone on Marian’s doorstep. Even though she was in there, and I was out, I still felt
better at her place than mine.
For now. I didn’t know how much longer she’d be there, and I didn’t want to think about where I would be without her.
I fell asleep on her carefully swept front porch. And if I dreamed that night, I don’t remember.

0 comments:

Post a Comment