Thursday, March 7, 2013

Beautiful Darkness - Chapter 39



Seventeen Moons
The Blood Incubuses reacted first, dematerializing one by one, and reappearing in pack formation. I recognized Scarface, the Incubus from
Macon's funeral. He was in the front, his black eyes calculating. Hunting was predictably nowhere in sight, too important for simple slaughter.
But Larkin was standing in front of them, a black snake coiled around his arm. Second in command.
They surrounded us in seconds, and there was nowhere to go. The pack was in front of us, and the cave wall behind us. Amma pushed her
way between the Incubuses and me, as if she planned to fight them off with her bare hands. She didn't get the chance.
“Amma!” I called out, but it was too late.
Larkin was standing inches from her tiny frame, wielding a knife that didn't look anything like an illusion. “You're a real pain in the ass for an
old lady, you know that? Always poking around where you don't belong and callin’ up your dead relatives. About time you joined them.”
Amma didn't move. “Larkin Ravenwood, you're gonna be ten kinds a sorry when you try to find your way outta this world and into the next.”
“Promise?” I could see the muscles in Larkin's shoulder move as he pulled back his arm, preparing to lunge at Amma.
Before he could strike, Twyla threw her hand open, and white particles flew through the air. Larkin cried out, dropping the knife and rubbing
his eyes with the back of his hands.
“Ethan, watch out!” I could hear Link's voice, but everything was happening in slow motion. I saw the pack coming at me, and I heard
something else. A humming sound that started low and rose slowly, like the crest of a wave. A green light flew up in front of us. It was the same
pure light the Arclight emitted when it spun in the air in front of us, right before we released Macon.
It had to be Macon.
The hum grew louder, and the light surged forward, hurling the Blood Incubuses backward. I looked around to see if everyone was all right.
Link was bent over, with his hands on his knees like he was going to puke. “That was close.” Ridley patted his back a little too hard and
turned to Twyla.
“What did you throw at Larkin? Some kind of Charged Matter?”
Twyla smiled, rubbing the beads on one of the thirty or forty necklaces she wore. “Don't need Charged Matta, cher.”
“Then what was it?”
“Sèl manje.” She spoke the words in her thick Creole accent, but Ridley didn't understand.
Arelia smiled. “Salt.”
Amma whacked me on the arm. “Told you salt could keep away evil spirits. Evil boys, too.”
“We have to move. There isn't much time.” Gramma rushed toward the stairs, carrying her cane in her hand. “Ethan, come with me.” I
followed Gramma up to the altar, the smoke from the fire creating a thick haze around me. It was intoxicating and suffocating at the same time.
We reached the top of the stairs. Gramma held her cane out toward Sarafine, and immediately it began to glow with golden light. I felt a wave
of relief. Gramma was an Empath. She had no powers of her own, except the ability to use the powers of others. And the power she was taking
now belonged to the most dangerous woman in the room — her daughter Sarafine.
The one channeling the energy of the Dark Fire to call the Seventeenth Moon.
“Ethan, get Lena!” Gramma called. She was in some sort of psychic holding pattern with Sarafine.
It was all I needed to hear. I grabbed for the ropes, loosening the knots that bound Lena and her mother together. Lena was barely
conscious, her body resting on the freezing stone. I touched her. Her skin was ice cold, and I felt the choking grip of the Dark Fire as my body
started going numb.
“Lena, wake up. It's me.” I shook her, and her head rolled from side to side, her face red from the icy rock. I lifted Lena's body, wrapping my
arms around her, giving her what little warmth I had.
Her eyes opened. She was trying to speak. I held her face in my hands. “Ethan —” Her lids were heavy, and her eyes shut again. “Get out of
here.”
“No.” I kissed her as I held her in my arms. No matter what happened, it was worth this one moment. Holding her again.
I'm not going anywhere without you.
I heard Link scream. One Incubus had escaped the powerful wall of light that was holding the rest of them at bay. John Breed was behind
Link, with his arm around Link's neck, canines bared. John still had the same glazed expression, like he was on autopilot. I wondered if it was an
effect of the intoxicating fumes. Ridley turned and threw herself onto John's back, tackling him. She must have taken him by surprise, because
Ridley wasn't strong enough to take him down on her own. The three of them fell to the ground, grappling for the upper hand.
I couldn't see more than that, but it was enough to make me realize we were in serious trouble. I didn't know how long the supernatural field
would hold, especially if Macon was the one generating it.
Lena had to end this.
I looked down at her. Her eyes were open, but she looked past me, as if she couldn't see me.
Lena. You can't give up now. Not when —
Don't say it.
It's your Claiming Moon.
It's not. It's her Claiming Moon.
It doesn't matter. It's your Seventeenth Moon, L.
She stared up at me, her eyes empty.
Sarafine raised it. I didn't ask for any of this.
You have to choose, or everyone we care about could get killed here tonight.
She looked away from me.
What if I'm not ready?
You can't run from this, Lena. Not anymore.
You don't get it. It's not a choice. It's a curse. If I go Light, Ridley and half my family will die. If I go Dark, Gramma, Aunt Del, my cousins —
they'll all die. What kind of choice is that?
I held her tighter, wishing there was a way I could give her my strength or absorb her pain.
“It's a choice only you can make.” I pulled Lena to her feet. “Look at what's happening. People you love are fighting for their lives right now.
You can stop it. Only you.”
“I don't know if I can.”
“Why not?” I was shouting.
“Because I don't know what I am.”
I looked into her eyes, and they had changed again. One was perfectly green, and one was perfectly gold.
“Look at me, Ethan. Am I Dark, or am I Light?”
I looked at her, and I knew what she was. The girl I loved. The girl I would always love.
Instinctively, I grabbed the gold book in my pocket. It was warm, as if some part of my mother was alive within it. I pressed the book into
Lena's hand, feeling the warmth spread into her body. I willed her to feel it — the kind of love within the book, the kind of love that never died.
“I know what you are, Lena. I know your heart. You can trust me. You can trust yourself.”
Lena held the tiny book in her hand. It wasn't enough. “What if you're wrong, Ethan? How can you know?”
“I know because I know you.”
I let go of her hand. I couldn't bear to think of anything happening to her, but I couldn't stop it from coming. “Lena, you have to do it. There's
no other way. I wish there was, but there isn't.”
We looked out over the cavern. Ridley looked up, and for a second I thought she saw us.
Lena looked at me. “I can't let Ridley die. I swear she's trying to change. I've already lost too much.”
I already lost Uncle Macon.
“It was my fault.” She clung to me, sobbing.
I wanted to tell her he was alive, but I remembered what Macon said. He was still Transitioning. There was a possibility he still had Darkness
within him. If Lena knew he was alive and there was a chance she could lose him again, she would never choose to go Light. She wasn't capable
of killing him a second time.
The moon was directly over Lena's head. Soon the Claiming would begin. There was only one decision left to make, and I was afraid she
wasn't going to make it.
Ridley appeared at the top of the steps, breathless. She hugged Lena, taking her from me. She rubbed her face against Lena's wet cheek.
They were sisters, for better or worse. They always had been. “Lena, listen to me. You have to choose.” Lena looked away, pained. Ridley
grabbed the side of her cousin's face, forcing Lena to look at her. Lena noticed right away. “What happened to your eyes?”
“It doesn't matter. You need to listen to me. Have I ever done anything noble? Have I ever let you sit in the front seat of the car a single
time? Have I ever once saved you the last piece of cake, in sixteen years? Ever let you try on my shoes?”
“I always hated your shoes.” A tear rolled down Lena's cheek.
“You loved my shoes.” Ridley smiled and wiped Lena's face with her scraped and bloody hand.
“I don't care what you say. I'm not doing it.” Their eyes were fixed on each other.
“I don't have a selfless bone in my body, Lena, and I'm telling you to do it.”
“No.”
“Trust me. It's better this way. If I still have some Darkness inside me somewhere, you'll be doing me a favor. I don't want to be Dark
anymore, but I'm not cut out to be a Mortal. I'm a Siren.”
I could see the recognition in Lena's eyes. “But if you're a Mortal, you won't —”
Ridley shook her head. “There's no way to know. Once there's Darkness in your blood, you know …” Her voice broke off.
I remembered what Macon said. Darkness does not leave us as easily as we would hope.
Ridley hugged Lena tight. “Come on, what am I going to do with seventy or eighty more years? Can you really see me hanging around Gatdung,
making out with Link in the back of the Beater? Trying to figure out how the stove works?” She looked away, her voice faltering. “Can't
even get decent Chinese in that crappy town.”
Lena held tight to Ridley's hand, and Ridley squeezed it, then gently pulled her hand away, one finger at a time, and placed Lena's hand in
mine.
“Take care of her for me, Short Straw.” Ridley disappeared back down the steps before I could say a word.
I'm scared, Ethan.
I'm right here, L. I'm not going anywhere. You can make it through this.
Ethan —
You can, L. Claim yourself. No one has to show you the way. You know your own way.
Then another voice joined mine, from a great distance and also from within me.
My mother.
Together we told Lena, in the one stolen moment we had, not what to do but that she could do it.
Claim yourself, I said.
Claim yourself, my mother said.
I am myself, Lena said. I am.
Blinding light surged from the moon, like a sonic boom, shaking the rocks loose from the walls. I couldn't see anything but the moonlight. I
felt Lena's fear and her pain, pouring over me like a wave. Every loss, every mistake, was seared into her soul, creating a different kind of tattoo.
One made from rage and abandonment, heartbreak and tears.
Moonlight flooded the cave, pure and blinding. For a minute, I couldn't see or hear anything. Then I looked over at Lena, tears running down
her cheeks and shining in her eyes, which were now their true colors.
One green, one gold.
She flung her head back to face the moon. Her body twisted, her feet hovering above the stone. Below her, the fighting stopped. No one
spoke or moved. Every Caster and Demon in the room seemed to know what was happening, that their fates hung in the balance. Above her,
the brightness of the moon began to vibrate, the light pulling, until the whole cave was one ball of light.
The moon continued to swell. Like a moment from a dream, the moon split into two halves, dividing in the sky directly over where Lena
stood. The moonlight behind her seemed to form a giant, luminous butterfly, with two brilliant, glowing wings. One green, one gold.
A cracking sound echoed across the cave, and Lena screamed.
The light disappeared. The Dark Fire disappeared. There was no altar, no pyre, and we were back on the ground.
The air was perfectly still. I thought it was over, but I was wrong.
Lightning sliced through the air, splitting into two distinct paths, hitting its targets simultaneously.
Larkin.
His face twisted in terror as his body seized, then started to blacken. He seemed to be burning from the inside out. Black cracks crawled
along his skin until he turned to dust, blowing across the cave floor.
The second bolt traveled in the opposite direction, hitting Twyla.
Her eyes rolled back in her head. Her body fell to the ground, as if her spirit had stepped out and tossed it aside. But she didn't turn to dust.
Her lifeless body lay on the ground as Twyla rose above it, shimmering and fading until she became translucent.
Then the haze began to settle, the particles rearranging until Twyla looked more as she had in life. Whatever she had left behind in this life,
it was finished. If she had business here again, it would be because she chose to. Twyla wasn't tethered to this world. She was free. And she
looked peaceful, as if she knew something we didn't.
As she rose up through the crack in the cave ceiling toward the moon, she stopped. For a second, I wasn't sure what was happening as she
hovered there.
Good-bye, cher.
I don't know if she really said it, or if I imagined it, but she reached out a luminous hand and smiled. I lifted my own hand toward the sky and
watched as Twyla faded into the moonlight.
A single star appeared in the Caster sky — a sky I could see, but only for a second. The Southern Star. It had found its rightful place, back
in the sky.
Lena had made her choice.
She had Claimed herself.
Even if I wasn't sure what that meant, she was still with me. I hadn't lost her.
Claim yourself.
My mom would be proud of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment