Thursday, March 7, 2013

Beautiful Darkness - Chapter 40



Darkness and Light
Lena stood straight and tall, a dark silhouette against the moon. She didn't cry, and she wasn't screaming. Her feet had settled on the ground,
on either side of the giant crack that now marked the cave, splitting it almost entirely in two.
“What just happened?” Liv was looking at Amma and Arelia for answers.
I followed Lena's eyes across the great expanse of rocks and understood her silence. She was in shock, staring at one familiar face.
“It appears Abraham has been interfering with the Order of Things.” Macon stood in the cave entrance framed by light from a moon that was
beginning to stitch itself back together. Leah and Bade were at his side. I wasn't sure how long he'd been standing there, but I could tell from the
look on his face he had seen everything. He walked slowly, still adjusting to the feeling of his feet touching the ground. Bade kept pace with him,
and Leah kept one hand on his arm.
Lena softened at the sound of his voice, a voice from the grave. I heard the thought, barely a whisper. She was afraid to even think it.
Uncle Macon?
Her face went white. I remembered how I felt when I saw my mother at the cemetery.
“An impressive little trick you and Sarafine managed to pull off, Grandfather. I'll give you that. Calling a Claiming Moon out of time? You've
outdone yourself, really.” Macon's voice echoed in the cavern. The air was so still, so quiet, you couldn't hear anything except the low churning
of the tides. “Naturally, when I heard you were coming, I had to make an appearance.” Macon waited, as if he was expecting an answer. But when
he didn't get one, he snapped. “Abraham! I see your hand in this.”
The cave began to shake. Rocks fell from the jagged crack in the ceiling, beating down onto the floor. It felt like the whole cavern was about
to collapse. The sky above grew darker. The green-eyed Macon — the Light Caster, if that's what he truly was — seemed even more powerful
than the Incubus he was before.
A rumbling laugh echoed off the rock walls. Down on the watery cave floor, where the moon no longer shone, Abraham stepped out of the
shadows. With his white beard and matching white suit, he looked like a harmless old man instead of the Darkest of Blood Incubuses. Hunting
stayed at his side.
Abraham stood over Sarafine, whose body was lying on the ground. She had turned completely white, covered in a thick layer of frost, an icy
cocoon.
“You call on me, boy?” The old man laughed again, sharp and quick. “Ah, the hubris of youth. In a hundred years, you will learn your place,
Grandson.” I tried to mentally calculate the generations between them — four, maybe even five.
“I am well aware of my place, Grandfather. Unfortunately, and this is exceptionally awkward, I believe I'll be the one to send you back to
yours.”
Abraham smoothed his beard deliberately. “Little Macon Ravenwood. You were always such a lost boy. This is your doing, not mine. Blood
is Blood, just as Dark is Dark. You should have remembered where your allegiances lie.” He paused, looking at Leah. “You would have done
well to remember that, too, my dear. But then, you were raised by a Caster.” He shuddered.
I could see the anger in Leah's face, but I could also see the fear. She was willing to try her luck with the Blood pack, but she didn't want to
challenge Abraham.
Abraham looked at Hunting. “On the subject of lost boys, where is John?”
“Long gone. Coward.”
Abraham whipped around to face Hunting. “John isn't capable of cowardice. It's not in his nature. And his life means more to me than yours.
So I suggest you find him.”
Hunting lowered his eyes and nodded. I couldn't help but wonder why John Breed was so important to Abraham, who didn't seem to care
about anyone.
Macon watched Abraham carefully. “It's touching to see how concerned you are about your boy. I certainly hope you find him. I know how
painful it is to lose a child.”
The cavern started to shake again, and rocks fell around our feet. “What have you done with John?” In his rage, Abraham seemed less like
a harmless old man and more like the Demon he truly was.
“What have I done with him? I think the question is what have you done to him?” Abraham's black eyes narrowed, but Macon only smiled.
“An Incubus who can walk in the sunlight and retain his strength without feeding … it would require a very specific coupling to produce those
qualities in a child. Wouldn't you agree? Scientifically speaking, you would need Mortal qualities, yet this boy John possesses the gifts of a
Caster. He can't have three parents, which means his mother was —”
Leah gasped. “An Evo.” Every Caster in the room reacted to the word. The surprise spread like a ripple, a new kind of coldness in the air.
Only Amma looked impassive. She folded her arms and fixed her eyes on Abraham Ravenwood as if he was just another chicken she was
planning on plucking, skinning, and boiling in her banged-up pot.
I tried to remember what Lena told me about Evos. They were metamorphs, with the ability to mirror human form. They didn't just step inside
a Mortal body, like Sarafine. Evos could actually become Mortals for short periods of time.
Macon smiled. “Precisely. A Caster that can take on human form long enough to conceive a child, with all the DNA of a Mortal and a Caster
on one side and an Incubus on the other. You have been busy, haven't you, Grandfather? I didn't realize you were matchmaking in your spare
time.”
Abraham's eyes grew blacker. “You are the one who muddied the Order of Things. First, with your infatuation with a Mortal, and then by
turning on your own kind to protect this girl.” Abraham shook his head, as if Macon was nothing more than an impetuous boy. “And where has it
left us? Now the Duchannes child has cleaved the moon. Do you know what this means? The threat she poses to all of us?”
“The fate of my niece is none of your concern. You seem to have your hands full enough with your own science experiment of a child.
Although, I have to wonder what you're doing with him.” Macon's green eyes glowed as he spoke.
“Be careful who you speak to that way.” Hunting took a step forward, but Abraham put up his hand, and Hunting stopped. “Killed you once, I'll
kill you twice.”
Macon shook his head. “Nursery rhymes, Hunting? If you are planning a career as Grandfather's minion, you're going to have to work on
your delivery.” Macon sighed. “Now then, tuck your tail between your legs and follow your master home like a good dog.” Hunting's expression
hardened.
Macon turned to Abraham. “And Grandfather, as much as I would love to compare lab notes, I think it's time you leave.”
The old man laughed. A cold wind began to circle around him, whistling between the rocks. “You think you can order me around like an
errand boy? You will not call my name, Macon Ravenwood. You will cry my name. You will bleed my name.” The wind grew around him, blowing
his string tie awkwardly across his body. “And when you die, my name will still be feared, and yours will be forgotten.”
Macon looked him in the eye, without the slightest hint of fear. “As my mathematically gifted brother clarified, I've already died once. You're
going to have to come up with something new, old man. It's getting tiresome. Allow me to see you out.”
Macon fluttered his fingers, and I heard a ripping sound as the night opened behind Abraham. The old man hesitated, then smiled. “My age
must be catching up with me. I almost forgot to collect my things before I leave.” He reached out his hand, and something emerged from behind
one of the crevices in the rock. It vanished, reappearing in his hand. I held my breath for a second when I saw it.
The Book of Moons.
The Book we believed had burned to ash, in the fields of Greenbrier. The Book that was a curse all its own.
Macon's face darkened, and he held out his hand. “That doesn't belong to you, Grandfather.” The Book twitched in Abraham's hand, but the
darkness surrounding him deepened, and the old man shrugged with a smile. A second ripping sound echoed across the cavern as he
disappeared, taking the Book and Hunting and Sarafine with him. By the time the echo died, the shallow tides washed away even the imprint of
Sarafine's body in the sand.
At the sound of the rip, Lena started to run. By the time Abraham was gone, she was across the rocky cave floor and halfway to Macon. He
leaned against the rough wall until Lena threw herself into his chest, and Macon swayed as if he was going to fall.
“You're dead.” Lena spoke into his dirty, ripped shirt.
“No, sweetheart. I'm very much alive.” He drew her face up to look at him. “Look at me. I'm still here.”
“Your eyes. They're green.” She touched his face, shocked.
“And yours are not.” He touched her cheek, sadly. “But they are beautiful. Both the green and the gold.”
Lena shook her head in disbelief. “I killed you. I used the Book, and it killed you.”
Macon stroked her hair. “Lila Jane saved me before I crossed over. She imprisoned me in an Arclight, and Ethan released me. It wasn't
your fault, Lena. You didn't know what would happen.” Lena began to sob. He stroked her wild black curls, whispering, “Shh. It's all right now. It's
over.”
He was lying. I could see it in his eyes. The black pools that kept his secrets were gone. I didn't understand everything Abraham had said,
but I knew there was truth in it. Whatever had happened when Lena Claimed herself wasn't the solution to our problems, but a new problem all its
own.
Lena pulled away from Macon. “Uncle Macon, I didn't know this was going to happen. One minute I was thinking about Dark and Light —
about what I really wanted. But all I could think about was that I don't belong anywhere. After everything I've been through, I'm not Light or Dark.
I'm both.”
“It's all right, Lena.” He reached out for her, but she stood on her own.
“It's not.” She shook her head. “Look what I've done. Auntie Twyla and Ridley are gone, and Larkin …”
Macon looked at Lena as if he was seeing her for the first time. “You did what you had to do. You Claimed yourself. You didn't pick a place
in the Order. You changed it.”
Her voice was hesitant. “What does it mean?”
“It means you are yourself — powerful and unique — like the Great Barrier, a place where there is no Dark or Light, only magic. But unlike
the Great Barrier, you are both Light and Dark. Like me. And after what I saw tonight, like Ridley.”
“But what happened to the moon?” Lena looked at Gramma, but it was Amma who spoke up, from the rocky ledge.
“You split it, child. Melchizedek's right, the Order a Things is broken. Can't say what'll happen now.” The way she said broken made it clear
that broken wasn't something we wanted the Order to be.
“I don't understand. You're all here, but so were Hunting and Abraham. How is that possible? The curse —” Lena faltered.
“You possess both Light and Darkness, a possibility the curse did not account for. None of us did.” There was pain in Gramma's voice. She
was hiding something, and I sensed things were more complicated than she was letting on. “I'm just glad you're all right.”
The sound of water splashing echoed through the cavern. I turned in time to see Ridley's blond and pink hair whip around the corner. Link
was right behind her.
“Guess I really am a Mortal.” Ridley said it with her usual brand of sarcasm, but she looked relieved. “You always have to be different, don't
you? Way to go and screw things up again, Cuz.”
I heard Lena's breath catch, and for a second she didn't move.
It was all too much. Macon was alive, when Lena believed she'd killed him. She had Claimed herself and remained both Dark and Light. As
far as I could tell, she had broken the moon. I knew Lena would fall apart moments from now. When she did, I would be there to carry her home.
Lena grabbed Ridley and Macon, practically strangling them in her own kind of Caster circle, seeming neither Light nor Dark. Just very
tired, but no longer very alone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment