Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Beautiful Redemption - Chapter 20



This is freakin’ nuts. We don’t even have the stupid Book a Moons. You sure The Stars and Sucks
didn’t say anythin’ else?”
Link was sitting on the floor again, with only his feet sticking out from under the table—this
time the one in Macon’s study. We’d made no progress, but here we were again. New table. Same
people. Same problems.
Only the presence of my Uncle Macon, half-hidden in the flickering shadows of the fireplace,
changed the conversation. That, and the fact that we’d left Amma back at Wate’s Landing to keep
an eye on Ethan’s father.
“I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but maybe Link’s right. Even if we all agreed—even if
we knew we had no choice but to get Ethan The Book of Moons—it still wouldn’t matter. We don’t
know where it is, and we don’t know how to get it to him.” Liv said what we all were thinking.
I said nothing, twisting my charm necklace between my fingers.
It was Macon who finally answered. “Yes. Well. These things are difficulties, not
impossibilities.”
Link sat up. “The whole death thing, yeah, I’d say that’s pretty difficult, sir. I mean, no
offense, Mr. Ravenwood.”
“Finding The Book of Moons is not out of the question, Mr. Lincoln. I’m sure I don’t need to
remind you where we last saw it and who last had it.”
“Abraham.” We all knew who he was talking about, but it was Liv who said it. “He had it with
him at the Seventeenth Moon, in the cave. And he used it to bring up the Vexes, right before—”
“The Eighteenth Moon,” John said quietly. None of us ever wanted to talk about the night at the
water tower.
All of which just set Link off more. “Oh well. That’s easy. Find the Book. How about we just
find our way over to whatever backwoods swamp hole Colonel Sanders has been livin’ in for the
last two hundred years, and ask him real nice if he wouldn’t mind handin’ over his creepy book? So
our dead friend can use it for who knows what, over in who knows where.”
I flicked my wrist at Link, annoyed. A spark flew from the fire grating, singeing his leg.
He jerked away. “Cut it out!”
“Uncle Macon’s right. It’s not impossible,” I said.
Liv played with the rubber band holding her red notebook closed—an anxious habit that meant
she was thinking. “And this time Sarafine’s dead. He won’t have her backing him up.”
Uncle Macon shook his head. “He never needed her, I’m afraid. Not really. You can’t rely on
him being any weaker now than he ever was. Don’t underestimate Abraham.”
Liv looked somber. “What about Hunting and his pack?”
Macon stared into the fire. I watched the flames grow taller, deepening into purple and red and
orange. I couldn’t tell if my uncle really believed me or not. I didn’t know if he thought for a minute
there was a way to bring Ethan back.
I didn’t care what he thought, as long as he was willing to help me.
He looked at me as if he knew what I was thinking. “Hunting, though stupid, is a powerful
Incubus. But Abraham alone is a formidable threat. If fear is going to stop us, we should concede
failure right now.”
Link huffed from the floor behind him.
Macon looked at him over his shoulder. “That is, if you’re frightened.”
“Who said anything about that?” Link was indignant. “I just like a better set a odds when I
throw myself into a snake pit.”
“It’s me.” John sat up and announced it, as if he’d just figured out the answer to all our
problems.
“What?” Liv pulled away from him.
“I’m the one thing Abraham wants. And the only thing he can’t have.”
“Don’t be stupid.” Link groaned. “You sound like his girlfriend.”
“I’m not stupid. I’m right. I thought I was the One Who Is Two, and I thought it was up to
me to do… what Ethan did. But that wasn’t about me. This is.”
“Shut up,” Link snapped.
Macon’s face twisted into a frown, his green eyes darkening. I knew that expression too well.
Liv nodded. “I agree. Do as your brilliant Incubus brother says. Shut up.”
John put his arm gently around her, as if he was speaking only to Liv. But I was hanging on his
every word, because everything he was saying was starting to make sense. “I can’t. Not this time.
I’m not going to sit around and let Ethan take all the punches. For once, I’m going to get what’s
coming to me. Or who.”
“And that is?” Liv wouldn’t look at him.
“Abraham. If you tell him you’ll make a trade, he’ll come for me. He’ll swap me for The Book
of Moons.” John looked at Macon, who nodded.
Link looked skeptical. “How do you know?”
John smiled weakly. “He’ll come. Trust me.”
Macon sighed, finally turning from the fireplace toward us. “John, I appreciate your honor and
your courage. You’re a fine young man, even if you have your own demons. We all do. But you
should take some time to make certain this is a trade you’re willing to make. It’s a last course of
action, nothing more.”
“I’m willing.” John stood up, like he was ready to enlist now.
“John!” Liv was furious.
Macon waved him into his seat. “Think it over. If Abraham does take you, it’s not likely we
will be able to bring you home, not anytime soon. And as much as I want to bring Ethan back—”
Uncle Macon glanced over at me before continuing. “I’m not certain trading one life for another is
worth the risk Abraham poses, for any of us.”
Liv stepped in front of John, as if she wanted to protect him from everyone else in the room
and everything else in the world. “He doesn’t need time to think about it. It’s a terrible plan.
Absolutely horrid. The worst plan we’ve ever come up with. The worst plan in the history of
plans.” Liv was pale and shaking, but when she saw me watching her, she stopped talking.
She knew what I was thinking.
It didn’t involve John jumping off the Summerville water tower. It wasn’t the worst plan. I
closed my eyes.
falling not flying
one lost muddy shoe
like the lost worlds
between me and you
“I’ll do it,” John said. “I don’t like it any more than the rest of you, but this is the way it has to
be.”
It all sounded too familiar. I opened my eyes to see Liv, stricken. As the tears began to run
down Liv’s face, I felt like I was going to throw up.
“No.” I heard myself say the word before I realized I was saying it. “My uncle’s right. I’m not
putting you through that, John. Any of you.” I saw the color seep into Liv’s cheeks, and she sank
into the chair next to him. “It’s a last-ditch effort. A last chance.”
“Unless you’ve got another one, Lena, I think the land of last chances is right about where we
are.” John looked serious. He had made up his mind, and I loved him for it.
But I shook my head. “I do. What about Link’s idea?”
“Link’s—what?” Liv looked confused.
“My what?” Link scratched his head.
“We find our way to whatever backwoods swamp hole Abraham has been living in for the last
two hundred years.”
“And we ask him real nice to give us the Book?” Link looked hopeful. John looked like he
thought I was having a stroke.
“No. We steal it, real nice.”
Macon looked interested. “That presumes we can even find my grandfather’s home. The nasty
brand of Dark power he wields demands a lifestyle of secrecy, I’m afraid. Tracking Abraham down
won’t be easy. He keeps to the Underground.”
I looked steadily back at him. “Well, as the smartest person I know once said, these things are
difficulties, not impossibilities.”
My uncle smiled at me. John shook his head. “Don’t look at me. I don’t know where the guy
lives; I was just a kid. I remember rooms without windows.”
“Perfect,” Link snapped. “There can’t be many of those around.”
Liv dropped her hand onto John’s shoulder.
John shrugged. “Sorry. My childhood is one big dark cloud. I’ve done my best to block the
whole thing out.”
My uncle nodded, rising to his feet. “Very well. Then I suggest you start not with the smartest
people but perhaps the oldest people. They might have a clue or two as to where you can find
Abraham Ravenwood.”
“The oldest people? You mean the Sisters? Do you think they remember Abraham?” My
stomach tensed. It wasn’t exactly scary, but it was hard to understand half the things they said—
when they weren’t talking crazy.
“If they can’t, they’re likely to invent something equally plausible. They are the closest thing
my exponentially-great-grandfather has to contemporaries. Even if they’re hardly what one would
call contemporary.”
Liv nodded. “It’s worth a try.”
I stood up.
“Just a conversation, Lena,” Uncle Macon cautioned. “Don’t get any ideas. You’re not to set
out on any kind of reconnaissance mission of your own. Am I perfectly clear?”
“Crystal,” I said, because there was no talking to him about anything that seemed dangerous.
He’d been like this since Ethan—
Since Ethan.
“I’ll go with you for backup,” Link said, pulling himself up from the floor of the study. Link,
who couldn’t add two-digit numbers, always sensed when my uncle and I were about to start
fighting.
He grinned. “I can translate.”
By now, I felt like I knew the Sisters as well as my own family. Though they were eccentric, to put
it mildly, they were also the finest example of living history Gatlin had to offer.
That’s what the people around here called it.
When Link and I walked up the steps of Wate’s Landing, you could hear Gatlin’s living history
fighting with each other all the way through the screen door, true to form.
“You don’t throw away perfectly good cut-ler-ee. That’s a cryin’ shame.”
“Mercy Lynne. They’re plastic spoons. Means you’re supposed ta throw ’em away.” Thelma
was consoling her, patient as always. She should be sainted. Amma was the first one to say it every
time Thelma broke up one of the Sisters’ arguments.
“Just because some people think they’re the queen a England doesn’t give ’em a crown,” Aunt
Mercy responded.
Link stood next to me on the porch and tried not to laugh. I knocked on the door, but nobody
seemed to notice.
“Now, what on earth is that supposed ta mean?” Aunt Grace interrupted. “Who’s some people?
Angelina Witherspoon an’ all them partly nekkid stars—”
“Grace Ann! You don’t speak like that, not in this house.”
It didn’t even slow Aunt Grace down. “—from those smutty magazines you’re always askin’
Thelma ta get from the market?”
“Now, girls…” Thelma started.
I knocked again, more loudly this time, but it was impossible to hear over the chaos.
Aunt Mercy was shouting. “It means you wash the good spoons same as you wash the bad
spoons. Then you put ’em all back in the spoon drawer. Everyone knows that. Even the queen a
England.”
“Don’t listen ta her, Thelma. She washes the garbage when you and Amma aren’t lookin’.”
Aunt Mercy sniffed. “What if I do? You don’t want the neighbors talkin’. We’re respectable,
churchgoin’ people. We don’t smell like sinners, and there’s no reason for the cans out front ta
smell any different.”
“Exceptin’ they’re full a garbage.” Aunt Grace snorted.
I knocked on the screen door one more time. Link took over, banging once—and the door
practically gave out, one hinge swinging down toward the porch.
“Whoops. Sorry about that.” He shrugged awkwardly.
Amma appeared at the door, looking grateful for the distraction. “You ladies have some
visitors.” She pushed the screen open wide. The Sisters glanced up from their respective afghans,
looking friendly and polite, like they hadn’t been screaming bloody murder a second earlier.
I sat on the edge of a hard wooden chair, not making myself too comfortable. Link stood even
less comfortably next to me.
“I reckon we do. Afternoon, Wesley. And who’s there with y’all?” Aunt Mercy squinted, and
Aunt Grace elbowed her.
“It’s that girlfriend a Ethan’s. That pretty Ravenwood gal. The one who always has her nose in
a book, like Lila Jane.”
“That’s right. You know me, Aunt Mercy. I’m Ethan’s girlfriend, ma’am.” It was the same
thing I said every time I came over.
Aunt Mercy harrumphed. “Well, what if it is? What’re ya doin’ around here now that Ethan’s
gone and passed on ta one world or another?”
Amma froze in the kitchen doorway. “Come again?”
Thelma didn’t look up from her needlepoint.
“You heard me, Miss Amma,” Aunt Mercy said.
“Wh-what?” I stammered.
“What are you talking about?” Link could barely speak.
“You know about Ethan? How?” I leaned forward in my chair.
“You think we don’t catch a thing or two ’bout what’s goin’ on around here? Wasn’t born
yesterday, and we’re smarter than y’all think. We know plenty ’bout the Casters, same as we do
weather patterns and dress patterns and traffic patterns….” Aunt Grace wadded up her
handkerchief, her voice trailing off.
“And the peach stand seasons.” Aunt Mercy looked proud.
“A storm cloud’s a storm cloud. This one’s been workin’ its way through the sky for a long
time now. Near ’bout all our lives.” Aunt Grace nodded at her sister.
“Seems to me any right-minded person would try to keep outta a storm like that,” Amma
bristled, tucking the edge of the blanket around Aunt Grace’s legs.
“We didn’t know you knew,” I said.
“Lord have mercy, you’re as bad as Prudence Jane. She thought we didn’t have a clue between
us ’bout her traipsin’ all over underneath the County and back. Like we didn’t know our daddy
picked her ta keep the map. Like we didn’t tell him ourselves ta pick Prudence Jane. Always
thought she was the one with the steadiest hand outta all three a us.” Aunt Mercy laughed.
“Sweet Redeemer, Mercy Lynne, you know our daddy woulda picked me ’fore he picked you.
I only told him ta ask you on account a I didn’t like my hair all curled up, the way it got in the
Underground. Looked like a porkypine with a bad permanent, I swear.” Aunt Grace shook her head.
Mercy sniffed. “You do swear, Grace Ann, and I’m the only one who knows it.”
“You take that back.” Aunt Grace pointed a bony finger at her sister.
“I will not.”
“Please, ma’am. Ma’ams.” What was the plural of ma’am? “We need your help. We’re looking
for Abraham Ravenwood. He has something of ours, something important.” I looked from one
Sister to the other.
“We need it ta—” Link corrected himself. “To bring Ethan home, lickety-split.” If you hung
around the Sisters long enough, you started talking like them.
I rolled my eyes.
“What’re you fussin’ ’bout?” Aunt Grace waved her handkerchief.
Aunt Mercy sniffed again. “Sounds like more Caster nonsense ta me.”
Amma raised an eyebrow. “Why don’t you catch us all up? Seein’ as how we all love nonsense
the way we do.”
Link and I looked at each other. It was going to be a long night.
Caster nonsense or not, once Amma dragged out the Sisters’ scrapbooks, wheels began turning and
mouths started moving. At first Amma couldn’t bear to hear the mention of Abraham Ravenwood’s
name, but Link kept talking.
And talking, and talking.
Still, Amma didn’t stop him, which seemed like half a victory. Though talking to the Sisters
themselves didn’t seem anything like the other half of one.
Within the hour, Abraham Ravenwood was denounced as the Devil, a cheat, a scoundrel, a nogoodnik,
and a thief. He’d kept their daddy’s daddy’s daddy from the southeast corner of his old
apple orchard, which was rightfully his, and his daddy’s daddy from a seat on the county board,
which also was rightfully his.
And on top of all that, they were more than certain that he danced with the Devil up at
Ravenwood Plantation on more than one occasion, before it burned during the Civil War.
When I attempted to clarify, they didn’t want to get more specific than that.
“That’s what I said. He up and danced with the Devil. He made a deal. Don’t like talkin’ ’bout
or thinkin’ ’bout him neither.” Aunt Mercy shook her head so violently, I thought her dentures were
going to come unglued.
“Let’s say you did think about him, though. Where would you picture him?” Link tried again,
just as we had all night.
Finally, it was Aunt Grace who found the missing piece to the scrambled crossword puzzle the
Sisters considered conversation.
“Why, at his place, a course. Anybody with a lick a sense knows that.”
“Where’s his place, Aunt Grace? Ma’am?” I put my hand on Link’s arm, hopeful. It was the
first clear sentence we’d gotten out of her in what felt like hours.
“The dark side a the moon, I reckon. Where all the Devils and Demons live when they’re not
burnin’ down below.”
My heart sank. I was never going to get anywhere with these two.
“Great. The dark side a the moon. So Abraham Ravenwood is alive and well in a Pink Floyd
album.” Link was getting as crabby as I was.
“That’s what Grace Ann said. The dark side a the moon.” Aunt Mercy looked annoyed. “Don’t
know why you two act like that’s such a conundy-rum.”
“Where, exactly, is the dark side of the moon, Aunt Mercy?” Amma sat down next to Ethan’s
great-aunt, taking the old woman’s hands in her lap. “You know. Come on now.”
Aunt Mercy smiled at Amma. “ ’Course I do.” She glared at Aunt Grace. “ ’Cause Daddy
picked me ’fore Grace. I know all sorts a things.”
“Then, where is it?” Amma asked.
Grace snorted, pulling the photo album off the coffee table in front of them. “Young people.
Actin’ like they know everythin’. Actin’ like we’re one step from the home just ’cause we got a
year or two on you.” She leafed through the pages madly, as if she was looking for one thing in
particular—
Which, apparently, she was.
Because there, on the last page, under a faded pressed camellia and a stretch of pale pink
ribbon, was the ripped-off top of a book of matches. It was from some kind of bar or club.
“I’ll be danged,” Link marveled, earning himself a swat on the head from Aunt Mercy.
There it was, marked with a silvery moon.
THE DARK SIDE O’ THE MOON
N’AWLINS’ FINEST SINCE 1911
The Dark Side o’ the Moon was a place.
A place where I might be able to find Abraham Ravenwood and, I hoped, The Book of Moons.
If the Sisters were not completely out of their minds, which was a possibility that could never be
discounted.
Amma took one look at the matches and left the room. I remembered the story of Amma’s visit
to the bokor and knew better than to press her further.
Instead, I looked at Aunt Grace. “Do you mind?”
Aunt Grace nodded, and I pulled the antique shred of matchbook from the album page. Most of
the paint was scratched off the embossed moon, but you could still see the writing. We were going
to New Orleans.
You would have thought Link had solved the Rubik’s Cube. The moment we got into the Beater, he
started blasting some song from Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and shouting excitedly over
the music.
When we slowed at the corner, I turned down the volume and cut him off. “Drop me off at
Ravenwood, will you? I need to get something before I leave for New Orleans.”
“Hold on. I’m comin’ with you. I promised Ethan I’d keep my eye on you, and I keep my
promises.”
“I’m not taking you. I’m taking John.”
“John? That’s the somethin’ you’re gettin’ from home?” His eyes narrowed. “No way.”
“I wasn’t asking your permission. Just so you know.”
“Why? What’s he got that I haven’t?”
“Experience. He knows about Abraham, and he’s the strongest hybrid Incubus in Gatlin
County, as far as we know.”
“We’re the same, Lena.” Link’s feathers were getting ruffled.
“You’re more Mortal than John is. That’s what I like about you, Link. But it also makes you
weaker.”
“Who are you callin’ weak?” Link flexed his muscles. To be fair, he did nearly split his T-shirt
in half. He was like the Incredible Hulk of Stonewall Jackson High.
“I’m sorry. You’re not weak. You’re just three-quarters human. And that’s a little too human
for this trip.”
“Whatever. Suit yourself. See if you even get ten feet through the Tunnels without me. You’ll
be back here, beggin’ for my help, before I can say…” His face went blank. A classic Link
moment. Sometimes the words just seemed to float away from him before they could make it all the
way from his brain to his mouth. He finally gave up with a shrug. “Somethin’. Somethin’ real
dangerous.”
I patted his shoulder. “Bye, Link.”
Link frowned, hitting the gas pedal, and we ripped down the street. Not the usual kind of rip
for an Incubus, but then again, he was three-quarters rocker. Just the way I liked him—my favorite
Linkubus.
I didn’t say that, but I’m pretty sure he knew.
I changed every light green for him, all the way down Route 9. The Beater never had it so
good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment