Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Beautiful Redemption - Chapter 38



You kids go on in,” Link said, turning up the latest Holy Rollers demo. “I’m gonna wait here. I get
enough a books at school.”
Lena and I climbed out of the Beater and stood in front of the Gatlin County Library. The
repairs were further along than I remembered. All the major construction was finished on the
outside, and the fine ladies of the DAR had already started planting saplings near the door.
The inside of the building was less finished. Plastic sheets hung across one side, and I could
see tools and sawhorses on the other. But Aunt Marian had already set up this particular area, which
didn’t surprise me at all. She would rather have half a library than no library, any day.
“Aunt Marian?” My voice echoed more than usual, and within seconds she appeared at the end
of the aisle in her stocking feet. I could see the tears in her eyes as she rushed in for a hug.
“I still can’t believe it.” She hugged me tighter.
“Trust me, I know.”
I heard the sound of dress shoes against the uncarpeted concrete.
“Mr. Wate, it is a pleasure to see you, son.” Macon had a huge smile plastered across his face.
It was the same one he seemed to have every time he saw me now, and it was starting to creep me
out a little.
He gave Lena a squeeze and made his way over to me. I held out my hand to shake his, but he
swung his arm around my neck instead.
“It’s good to see you, too, sir. We kinda wanted to talk to you and Aunt Marian.”
She raised an eyebrow. “Oh?”
Lena was twisting her charm necklace, waiting for me to explain. I guess she didn’t want to
break the news to her uncle that we could make out all we wanted now without putting my life in
danger. So I did the honors. And as intrigued as Macon seemed, I was pretty sure he liked it better
when kissing Lena posed the threat of electric shock.
Marian turned to Macon, at a loss. “Remarkable. What do you think it means?”
He was pacing in front of the stacks. “I’m not entirely sure.”
“Whatever it is, do you think it will affect other Casters and Mortals?” Lena was hoping this
was some kind of change in the Order of Things. Maybe a cosmic bonus, after everything I’d been
through.
“That’s doubtful, but we will certainly look into it.” He glanced at Marian.
She nodded. “Of course.”
Lena tried to hide her disappointment, but her uncle knew her too well. “Even if this isn’t
affecting other Casters and Mortals, it is affecting the two of you. Change has to start somewhere,
even in the supernatural world.”
I heard a creak, and the front door slammed. “Dr. Ashcroft?”
I looked at Lena. I would’ve known that voice anywhere. Apparently, Macon recognized it,
too, because he ducked behind the stacks with Lena and me.
“Hello, Martha.” Marian gave Mrs. Lincoln her friendliest librarian voice.
“Was that Wesley’s car I saw out front? Is he in here?”
“I’m sorry. He’s not.”
Link was probably scrunched down on the floor of the Beater, hiding from his mother.
“Is there anything else I can do for you today?” Marian asked politely.
“What you can do,” Mrs. Lincoln fussed, “is try to read this book a witchcraft and explain to
me how we can allow our children to check this out a the public library.”
I didn’t have to look to know what series she was referring to, but I just couldn’t help myself.
I poked my head around the corner to see Link’s mom waving a copy of Harry Potter and the
Half-Blood Prince in the air.
I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. It was good to know some things in Gatlin would never
change.
I didn’t take The Stars and Stripes out during lunch. They say that when someone you love dies,
you can’t eat. But today I had a cheeseburger with extra pickles, a double order of fries, a raspberry
Oreo shake, and a banana split with hot fudge, caramel, and extra whip.
I felt like I hadn’t eaten in weeks. I guess I hadn’t actually eaten anything in the Otherworld,
and my body seemed to know it.
As Lena and I ate, Link and Ridley were joking around together, which sounded more like
fighting to anyone who didn’t know better.
Ridley shook her head. “Seriously? The Beater? Didn’t we go over this on the way here?”
“I wasn’t listenin’. I only pay attention to about ten percent a what you say.” He glanced at her
over his shoulder. “I’m ninety percent too busy lookin’ at you sayin’ it.”
“Yeah, well, maybe I’m a hundred percent too busy looking the other way.” She acted
annoyed, but I knew Ridley better than that.
Link only grinned. “And they say you don’t use math in real life.”
Ridley unwrapped a red lollipop and made a show of it, like always. “If you think I’m going to
New York with you in that rust bucket, you’re crazier than I thought, Hot Rod.”
Link nuzzled her neck, and Rid swatted him. “Come on, Babe. It was awesome last time. And
this time we won’t have to sleep in the Beater.”
Lena raised an eyebrow at her cousin. “You slept in a car?”
Rid tossed her blond and pink hair. “I couldn’t leave Shrinky Dink alone. It’s not like he was a
hybrid back then.”
Link wiped his greasy hands on his Iron Maiden T-shirt. “You know you love me, Rid. Admit
it.”
Ridley pretended to scoot away from him, but she barely moved an inch. “I’m a Siren, in case
you’ve forgotten. I don’t love anything.”
Link kissed her on the cheek. “Except me.”
“You got room for two more?” John was balancing a tray of freezes and french fries in one
hand, his other hand locked around Liv’s.
Lena smiled at Liv and moved over. “Always.”
There was a time when I couldn’t get the two of them to stand in the same room. But that felt
like a lifetime ago. Technically, for me, I guess it was.
Liv tucked herself under John’s arm. She was wearing her periodic table shirt and her
trademark blond braids. “I hope you don’t think we’re sharing those.” She slid the paper boat full of
chili fries in front of her.
“I would never get between you and your fries, Olivia.” John leaned over and gave her a quick
kiss.
“Smart boy.” Liv looked happy—not make-the-best-of-it happy but the real kind of happy. And
I was happy for both of them.
Charlotte Chase called out from behind the counter; looked like her summer job had turned into
a year-round after-school job. “Anybody wanna slice a pecan pie? Fresh outta the oven?” She held
up the sad-looking boxed pie. It wasn’t fresh out of anybody’s oven, not even Sara Lee’s.
“No, thanks,” Lena said.
Link was still staring at the pie. “Bet it’s not good enough to be Amma’s worst pecan pie.” He
missed Amma, too. I could tell. She had always been on him about one thing or another, but she
loved Link. And he knew it. Amma let him get away with things I never could, which reminded me
of something.
“Link, what did you do in my basement when you were nine years old?” To this day, Link had
never told me what Amma had on him. I had always wanted to know, but it was the one secret I’d
never been able to get out of him.
Link squirmed in his seat. “Come on, man. Some things are private.”
Ridley looked at him suspiciously. “Is that when you got into the schnapps and puked
everywhere?”
He shook his head. “Naw. That was someone else’s basement.” He shrugged. “Hey, there’s a
whole lotta basements around here.”
We were all staring at him.
“Fine.” He ran his hand over his spiky hair nervously. “She caught me…” He hesitated. “She
caught me dressed up—”
“Dressed up?” I didn’t even want to think about what that meant.
Link rubbed his face, embarrassed. “It was awful, dude. And if my mom ever found out, she’d
kill you for sayin’ it and me for doin’ it.”
“What were you wearing?” Lena asked. “A dress? High heels?”
He shook his head. His face was turning red with shame. “Worse.”
Ridley whacked him on the arm, looking pretty nervous herself. “Spill. What the hell did you
have on?”
Link hung his head. “A Union soldier’s uniform. I stole it from Jimmy Weeks’ garage.”
I burst out laughing, and within seconds so did Link. No one else at the table understood the sin
in a Southern boy—with a father who led the Confederate Cavalry in the Reenactment of the Battle
of Honey Hill, and a mother who was a proud member of the Sisters of the Confederacy—trying on
a Civil War uniform for the opposing side. You had to be from Gatlin.
It was one of those unspoken truths, like you don’t make a pie for the Wates because it won’t
be better than Amma’s; you don’t sit in front of Sissy Honeycutt in church because she talks the
whole time right along with the preacher; and you don’t choose the paint color for your house
without consulting Mrs. Lincoln, not unless your name happens to be Lila Evers Wate.
Gatlin was like that.
It was family, all of it and all of them—the good parts and the bad.
Mrs. Asher even told Mrs. Snow to tell Mrs. Lincoln to tell Link to tell me that she was glad to
have me home from Aunt Caroline’s in one piece. I told Link to thank her, and I meant it. Maybe
Mrs. Lincoln would even make me some of her famous brownies again one day.
If she did, I bet I would clean the plate.
When Link dropped us off, Lena and I headed straight for Greenbrier. It was our place, and no
matter how many terrible things happened here, it would always be the place where we found the
locket. Where I saw Lena move the clouds for the first time, even if I didn’t realize it. Where we’d
practically taught ourselves Latin, trying to translate from The Book of Moons.
The secret garden at Greenbrier held our secrets from the beginning. And in a way, we were
beginning again.
Lena gave me a funny look when I finally unrolled the paper I had been carrying around all
afternoon.
“What’s that?” She closed her spiral notebook, the one she spent all her time writing in, like she
couldn’t get everything on the page fast enough.
“The crossword puzzle.” We lay on our stomachs in the grass, curled up against each other in
our old spot by the tree near the lemon groves, near the hearthstone. True to its name, Greenbrier
was the greenest I’d ever seen it. Not a lubber or a bunch of dead brown grass in sight. Gatlin really
was back to the best version of its old self.
We did this, L. We didn’t know how powerful we were.
She leaned her head on my shoulder.
We do now.
I didn’t know how long it would last, but I swore to myself that I wouldn’t take it for granted
ever again. Not one minute of what we had.
“I thought we could do it. You know, for Amma.”
“The crossword?”
I nodded, and she laughed. “You know, I never even looked at those crossword puzzles? Not
once. Not until you were gone and started using them to talk to me.”
“Pretty clever, right?” I nudged her.
“Better than you trying to write songs. Though your puzzles weren’t that great either.” She
smiled, biting her lower lip. I couldn’t resist kissing it over and over and over, until she finally pulled
away, laughing.
“Okay. They were much better.” She touched her forehead to mine.
I smiled. “Admit it, L. You loved my crosswords.”
“Are you kidding? Of course I did. You came back to me every time I looked at those stupid
puzzles.”
“I was desperate.”
We unrolled the paper between us, and I got out the #2 pencil. I should have known what we’d
see.
Amma had left me a message, like the ones I left for Lena.
Two across. As in, to be or not to.
B. E.
Four down. As in, the opposite of evil.
G. O. O. D.
Five down. As in, the victim of a sledding injury, from an Edith Wharton novel.
E. T. H. A. N.
Ten across. As in, an expression of joy.
H. A. L. L. E. L. U. J. A. H.
I crumpled up the paper and pulled Lena toward me.
Amma was home.
Amma was with me.
And Amma was gone.
I pretty much wept until the sun fell out of the sky and the meadow around me was as dark
and as light as I felt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment